2012/02/09

vhs

i've been burning a lot of dvds lately, since i generally tend to get more work done downstairs in front of the tv than i do upstairs within the distraction microcosm that is me by myself in my room, and i've found that the most preferable way of setting up the disc is to make it play just like an early vhs cassette--sure, this is in part because our dvd player barely works and has no remote so we can't select anything in a menu, but still, if i really wanted to, i could just pop it into my ps2--for i feel simplicity is best: it plays the film when i put in the disc and it stops playback when it's over.

these kinds of things only motivate me further into piracy, since in nearly all cases i'll end up with something i consider higher in quality than anything that could actually be paid for, particularly, in this case, the absence of forced advertisements at the start of every fucking dvd. who the hell wants to pay to watch advertisements? obviously, my obsession with vinyl rips comes to mind too. of course this is a sloppy justification--i mean, the main reason i pirate is because i'm broke and jobless--but it does raise some questions about the inferior quality of things these companies expect us to buy.

ps: i've been reading about it and talking to some people, and i am quite sure i might have adhd. mostly the inattentive type, but also parts of the impulsive type. i've casually wondered about it before so this isn't exactly new, and though i've also seen parts of myself reflected in aspects of dyslexia, autism, and even schizophrenia, there are too many symptoms of adhd that would explain pretty much all the weird uncontrollably habitual and otherwise inexplicable shit i've done my whole life for it to be ignored. reading about it makes sense of myself, of my childhood, of who i am and how i behave, and i find that concerning. i hope to start getting it looked into professionally once this quarter's over.

No comments:

Post a Comment